Aside from being economical, the best non clumping cat litter can absorb large volumes of urine, and thus remove odors associated with your cat’s pee.
Other cat owners also continue to use it only because their cats prefer it.
Non Clumping Litter
What Is A Non Clumping Cat Litter
As other non clumping cat litter reviews may tell you, the non clumping cat litter or absorbing litter has been around since the end of World War II.
One of the earliest cat litters sold in pet shops was the Kitty Litter first marketed by Ed Lowe in 1947. That brand name has since become a generic trademark.
Non clumping cat litter dominated the U.S. market until the 90s when the use of clumping cat litter became widespread.
Clumping litter made of bentonite was invented by biochemist Thomas Nelson in 1984. It was marketed as a more hygienic option that non clumping cat litter because the solid clump material is easy to scoop out.
Although non clumping cat litter has lost a significant market share to clumping litter, there is still a lot of cat owners who prefer to use it.
After all, non clumping litter is excellent at removing odors brought by cat urine. This can be traced to the ability of the litter to absorb high amounts of urine.
Moreover, non clumping cat litters also have additives like charcoal and baking soda to minimize unpleasant odors associated with cat litter.
Non clumping litter for cats is typically made from clay. However, there are other plant-based alternatives to clay like pine, wheat, corn, wood, and beat pulp.
Benefits Of Using The Best Non Clumping Cat Litter
Using the best non clumping cat litter affords you the following advantages:
For some cat owners, the main reason why they remain loyal to non clumping litter is that of the huge savings they can get when they use one instead of the clumping litter variety. Non clumping cat litter is at least 50 percent cheaper than clumping litter for cats.
2. It’s less dusty than clumping litter
Another reason why there are still cat owners who prefer non clumping litter is that it is less dusty compared to clumping cat litter. This is not to say that non clumping litter is 100 percent dust free as it still creates a significant amount of dust.
But compared to clumping cat litter, non clumping litter is less dusty and thus a safer, healthier alternative for cat owners who are prone to asthma and other respiratory problems. Less dusty non clumping litter is also ideal for asthmatic cats.
3. It is low maintenance
Non clumping cat litter products today are designed to be maintenance-free for a week. You don’t have to remove the clumps regularly unless you decide to remove it manually so as to prolong the use of the non clumping litter.
4. Cats prefer it
Finally, cat owners still buy non clumping litter for the simple reason that their cats prefer it. That’s not surprising because clay litter is appealing to cats. They find it easy to dig in. Cats also love stepping on clay litter.
Factors To Consider In Choosing A Non Clumping Cat Litter
Although non clumping cat litter no longer dominates the cat litter market, there is still alot of non clumping cat litter products today.
With the numerous choices available, it can get confusing for a first-time cat owner to buy one. We’ve made things a lot easier by listing down the considerations in shopping for a non clumping litter for our feline friends:
1. Odor control
Ask any cat owner, and this will likely be his/her answer when questioned on the things to look for in a cat litter. Cats, too, are very sensitive to odors that they will likely not use litter boxes that have strong odors.
Choose a non clumping litter that has carbon or charcoal filters as these are proven effective in minimizing odor associated with cat pee and poop.
Artificially scented litters may not be a good option, though, because these have strong scents that can turn off your very sensitive pet.
Non clumping litter for cats aren’t only made of clay. It may also be made from other materials like recycled paper, corn, wheat, and wood, among others. Of course, each material has its pros and cons.
For instance, clay is known for being able to absorb urine well. It is also good at odor control. Wheat and corn are also earth-friendly choices, but there’s a risk that your cat is allergic to any of these common non clumping litter materials.
3. Dust free
Another primary consideration in choosing a non clumping litter is the amount of dust that the litter leaves behind. Clay is known for being dust-free, and perhaps the best material for non clumping litter in this regard.
4. The size of the box/package
Check out the size of the box/package and determine how much it would last, taking into account the number of cats in your household
How To Transition Your Cat To Non Clumping Litter
If you’re convinced that a non clumping litter is best for your cat, how do you make the transition from clumping litter to non clumping?
Here Is How You Do It:
- Pour an inch of the non clumping litter in a clean litter box. Then pour two inches of the old litter brand on top of it. Your cat should naturally do her business as long as you don’t mix the two litters.
- The next time you change the litter box, reduce the amount of the clumping litter but still pour the same number of non clumping variety. Do this for the next three litter changes, while gradually reducing the amount of the old litter each time.
- By the fourth litter change, your cat should be acclimated to the modification.
Top 7 Non Clumping Litter Products
You won’t go wrong when you buy any of these top rated non-clumping litter products:
1. GOLDEN CAT COMPANY 702003 Tidy Cats Long Lasting Odor Control Conv Tough Bag
This Tidy Cats non-clumping cat litter boasts of an extended release deodorizing system, which its manufacturer claims, can make the litter box maintenance-free for up to a week. It is also made from 99.6% dirt-free clay material. Hence, it can minimize tracking on carpets and floors.
This non-clumping litter is designed for cats of all ages. It is convenient packed, so there should be no problems in hauling it. The manufacturer recommends cleaning the litter box while changing and removing solid waste daily for best results.
- It is lightly scented thus cats won’t be distracted by its scent
- Excellent at absorbing urine of cats
- It spares cats from eating their litter, which is a common problem in using clumping litter
- Little tracking, doesn’t get stuck in cat’s paws
- It is very cheap compared to other litter for cats
- Most cats love it
- Because it is cheap, it is ideal for households with multiple cats
- Very minimal dust, with some online reveiws saying it is completely dust-free
- Some consumers say it doesn’t do a very good job at odor control, so they end up adding baking soda to it
2. Yesterday's News Cat Litter, Non-Clumping
This is one of the more recommended non-clumping litter for cats by US veterinarians. It is made of soft paper pellets that are said to be 99.7% dust-free, which means a slight chance of tracking. It is also said to be up to three times better at absorbing urine than clay.
The manufacturer of this cat litter prides itself in being an environment-conscious brand, with the same cat litter packaged in a recyclable bag.
- Very economical, with the 30-pound bag able to last for up to five weeks for most online reviewers who have 2-3 cats in their households
- It is very cheap
- No perfumed scent that tries to mask the odor, and can disturb cats
- Many online reviewers say that the litter lives up to the promise of its maker, as it is virtually dust-free
- Does an excellent job at controlling urine odors
- The packaging/bag is completely recyclable
- No plastic and hard materials that can be chewed by cats
- Some reviewers say that this is not too hard to scoop
- It is hard to find in local pet stores; you can only buy it online
- Little to no odor control
- Doesn’t work in automatic litter box
3. Tidy Cats Cat Litter
This Tidy Cats cat litter has an extended release deodorizing feature that can control unwanted odors coming from your cat’s litter. It is 99.6% dust free and is little tracking. It is designed for households with multiple cats.
Like most non-clumping litter, it is said to keep your litter box maintenance free for at least a week.
- It is dust-free according to most of those who have tried it
- Because it is dust-free, it won’t worsen your cat’s asthma
- Excellent in controlling odor
- It has a light scent which is not offensive or distracting at all for most
- Instant action, great at trapping odors right from the get-go
- Low tracking, doesn’t get stuck in the paws or fur of cats
- Very economical, can last for weeks for households with 2-3 cats
- Ideal for young kittens
- Package comes with four waste bags which can last for months
- Very cheap
- Most cats will like it
- Clean-up of litter can be very messy, if not careful
- Difficult to find in most pet shops
- Not really effective or great at controlling the odor of the urine
- The package is heavy and thus can be difficult to haul for most pet lovers
4. Fresh Step Cat Litter, Extreme, 21-Pound Package
This is another good choice if you are looking for a non-clumping litter. It is made of clay with carbon that can effectively eliminate odors. The clay is also superb at absorbing urine and controlling its odor. It also has Paw-activated fresheners.
This cat litter comes in a 21-pound bag.
- It contains carbon that is known to get rid of odors on contact
- It is useful in keeping your home free from smell of cat urine and feces
- Because the poop off your cat doesn’t clump too hard, it can’t be flushed down the toilet
- It is a very affordable alternative to non-clumping litter
- Low tracking, doesn’t stick to fur and paws of cats
- It can last for weeks, which makes it ideal for cat owners who don’t have to buy cat litter regularly
- Has a sweet smell that isn’t too strong for many people
- It is not available in most pet stores
- Leaves a lot of dust, not a good choice for cats with asthma as well as pet lovers who have respiratory problems
- Some online reviewers complain that it tends to be dusty
- The bag is hard to open for most online reviewers
5. Ecopine Natural Cat Litter, Carbon Formula, 1 Month Supply, 5 lbs
This one is made not of clay, but of ecopine natural granules that can neutralize odors for up to a month. Those granules are blended with carbon for more strong odor control. The crystals can permanently lock in moisture and urine. This non-clumping cat litter is safe for use in kittens.
This one is an excellent choice if you are in the market for a biodegradable and sustainable cat litter. When used in one cat, it should last for a month.
- Ecopine natural granules are great for moisture absorption and odor control
- Ecopine isn’t a form of the pellet. Instead, these are minuscule particles that can do a better job of covering solid waste odors
- It is good for the environment as ecopine is a byproduct of lumber and thus fully biodegradable
- Tracks well, even better than crystal litter
- It doesn’t have the irritating smell or scent that is typical of most non clumping litter
- It lasts longer than cat litter made of clay
- Some cats still try to chew the ecopine granules
- Most online reviewers agree that it is dustier compared to other non clumping litter products
6. Yesterday's News Cat Litter, Non-Clumping
This is essentially the same as the earlier product, but this one comes in a package of six 5-pound bags. It is made with recycled paper and is up to 99.7% dust proof.
It is also very effective at absorbing moisture, far better than clay. It doesn’t have any artificial fragrances and is low tracking as well.
- It is easier to haul because it comes in 5-pound bags
- It can also last for weeks if you have 2-3 cats in your household
- It is reasonably priced
- It is unscented, and thus won’t disturb or turn off cats
- It is virtually dust free making it an excellent choice for people with asthma
- Non-toxic has no plastic materials that may be chewed by your pet
- It is not that hard to scoop the litter
- Poor odor control
- Difficult to find in local pet shops
7. GOLDEN CAT COMPANY 260002 Scamp Cat Litter Bag, 50 pounds
This is a huge cat litter bag that should work well for households with multiple cats. Coming in at a 50-pound package, this cat litter will last for many weeks.
It emits a nice scent that is not strong for most people. It is also very cheap and thus should be a great buy for the budget-conscious pet owner.
- Comes in a big bag that can last for many weeks
- It is ideal for households with multiple cats
- It doesn't have a strong odor unlike other non clumping cat litter
- It is cheap and economical
- It is easy to use
- Good odor control
- It is very dusty
- Very few reviews on this product even on Amazon.com
Our Recommended Product
Those are seven good non clumping litter products that you can choose from if you want to save on cat litter. However, there’s a clear winner if you ask us which is the best non-clumping cat litter in this list.
The Ecopine Natural Cat Litter, Carbon Formula is arguably the best choice if you are looking for an economical and cheap natural cat litter.
It is made of ecopine natural granules that can keep your house smelling good for weeks. Those granules are a lot better than clay in locking in moisture, as well as covering solid waste odors.
Like most items in this list, this natural cat litter doesn’t stick to the fur and paws of cats. It is also biodegradable and thus very environment-friendly.
And it does have that irritating odor that most clumping cat litters are notorious for.
Despite not being completely dust-free, it is hard to argue that the Ecopine Natural Cat litter is the best choice for cat owners who prefer to go the old route when it comes to disposing of their cat’s litter.