The last thing that cat owners want to happen to their pets is to see them scratching incessantly due to flea infestation. This is why it is important for them to have the best flea spray for cats that can help them suppress flea and get rid of its eggs.
The best flea spray for cats can protect your pet from fleas and ticks. Those parasites not only make your cat irritable due to flea bites, but also prone to some ailments like Lyme disease, tapeworms, and skin diseases. With a flea spray, you can also protect your homes against these annoying insects.
Flea Spray For Cats
Advantages Of Using A Flea Spray For Cats
There are some benefits of the best flea spray for cats that makes it highly recommended for cat lovers:
1. It is convenient. Arguably the most compelling reason to buy a flea spray for cats is the convenience that it affords pet owners. You simply have to spray it on your pet’s body, preferably on its back and tail where fleas are known to hide. Just don’t spray it on his eyes, face, and genitalia. You can also use a flea comb to help in spreading the content of the flea spray.
2. It is useful in getting rid of those pests. Another reason why you would want to pick up the best flea spray for cats is that it is effective in eliminating fleas. An anti-flea spray can kill fleas and ticks, and even mosquitoes. These flea sprays can also kill young flea and prevent these from developing and reproducing. You can also look for some flea medicine which also help in preventing a flea infestation from happening.
3. It can be used on home surfaces. Unlike other flea treatment for cats, you can use an anti-flea spray directly on your carpets rugs, and upholstery to get rid of flea dirt and eggs. Unlike flea shampoos and spot on flea treatments which you need to apply directly to your cats.
4. It can last for a long time. Flea sprays can last for up to several months. Thus cat owners can get their money’s worth, so to speak. A fine mist should be enough, and your cat will cease scratching himself. After treatment you can also use a flea collar to prevent the flea infestation from happening again.
5. It is relatively inexpensive. You don’t need to shell out a lot of money to be able to get your hands on a flea spray for cats.
6. The best sprays have no side effects. This applies in particular for sprays that use all-natural ingredients such as peppermint oil. These sprays are not only safe for use in cats but also won’t cause side effects to members of your family.
How To Choose The Best Flea Spray For Cats
There are several things that you need to look for when shopping for an anti-flea spray:
1. Your cat’s age. Most flea sprays are designed for cats that are at least eight weeks of age. You can refer to the label for the age restrictions.
2. Your cat’s health as well as the people in the house. If you are concerned about the possible side effects of flea sprays on your feline friend as well as your kids, then look for a flea spray with natural ingredients. Flea sprays with ingredients such as peppermint oil and clove extract are considered safe.
3. The source of the product. Always buy flea sprays from your vet or a reputable online seller. There are many counterfeit versions of flea sprays that may either be ineffective or harmful to your cats.
4. The smell of the spray. Cats are bothered by several things, like the scent of the flea spray. The ideal flea spray for cats does not emit a foul odor that would not only bother your feline friend but also pose possible allergy triggers to your other family members.
5. It should kill both adult fleas and flea eggs. The ideal flea spray not only kills adult fleas but also prevents the eggs from hatching, or for the larvae from completing its life cycle.
6. Avoid certain ingredients like pyrethroids or permethrin. These are highly toxic materials especially to cats. Anti-flea sprays containing pyrethroids are designed for dogs but are not safe for cats.
7. It should not leave a stain or discoloration. Because flea sprays can be used on your couch, chairs, beds, and other places in the households where fleas and their eggs can hide, you would want a flea spray that doesn’t leave any stains or marks.
8. Compare prices to get the best deal. Some flea sprays are very much the same regarding ingredients and users’ reviews that price may be the deal breaker, so to speak.
How To Use An Anti-flea Spray
1. Read the entire label first before using the spray
2. Shake well then lightly spray the entire coat until damp. Focus on the areas where fleas can hide like the legs, tail, and the back.
3. Avoid spraying on the face, eyes, and genitals.
4. Repeat as necessary.
5. For best results, an anti-flea spray should be used all year-round.
Here's A Video Tutorial:
The 5 Best Flea Spray For Cats
There are numerous flea sprays for cats in the market. Thus you might find yourself unable to pick one what with the many choices. However, we’ve made things easy by picking the top five flea sprays today:
1. Vet's Best - Flea & Tick Home Spray
This natural flea and tick home spray not only kills fleas and their eggs on contact but also ticks. It is also powerful enough to repel mosquitoes. It is made of natural ingredients. It is designed for use in cats 12 weeks or older.
• It has a non-staining formula. You won’t have to worry about your furniture, carpet, and flooring as this spray won’t damage those things.
• Its bottle design, with an induction seal cap and detached trigger spray, ensures that there won’t be any leakage during shipment.
• It is cheap
• Not harmful to plants
• Safe for use in homes with children
• It doesn’t emit a strong or foul odor
• Easy to use/apply
• Comes in a big bottle which can last for many months, and even a year, of use
• The best flea spray for cats reviews indicates it can kill fleas fast
• It can be a bit slippery when rubbed on the cat’s fur due to an ingredient called sodium laurel sulfate, a surfactant also used in soap, shampoo, and detergent.
• The spray nozzle makes a sound that can bother the pet
• Doesn’t seem to work well on long haired cats
• Fleas can come back after a day or so
2. Natural Pet Spray for Dogs & Cats - Tick + Flea & Insect Repellant
This is another all-natural flea spray that can naturally repel fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. It is safe for all pets. It doesn’t have a foul or strong odor, and it even works as a deodorizer at home.
• Can be used as a cleansing spray to get rid of foul urine smell in carpets, couches, and other areas in the house
• It can be sprayed directly on your cat after litter box usage
• It contains all-natural ingredients like citronella and lemongrass that can repel fleas and ticks, and prevent them from coming back
• Since it is created using natural ingredients, this spray is environmentally friendly and safe for everyday use
• Comes with a 100 percent money back guarantee
• Designed to be easily sprayed on your cat
• Many natural flea sprays for cats reviews say it is perfect for outdoor and indoor use
• Cats are afraid of the hissing sound that this spray makes
• It may take a few applications throughout the day to effectively get rid of fleas and ticks
• Some reviewers say the packaging and bottle tend to be oily which can make handling of the product difficult and messy
3. Adams Plus Flea and Tick Spray for Cats and Dogs
This spray will give your cat a quick relief from fleas and ticks. It can kill all adult fleas, their eggs, and larvae. It is designed to break the flea life cycle for up to two months.
• Works fast in killing fleas and ticks
• Dries up quickly too which means your cat won’t be bothered at all by this spray
• Performs well even in low dosage. It only needs a few misty sprays to be effective in getting rid of those pests
• Doesn’t leave any marks or stains on the couch, beds, beddings and similar surfaces
• Its odor is not as strong as other flea sprays. The smell should dissipate in an hour or so.
• Can last for many months and even a year
• It is alcohol based so there’s a possibility that it can affect the color of individual furniture
• Spray makes a squeaky sound that can irritate or scare away cats
• A bit pricey
4. Frontline Flea and Tick Treatment Dog/Cat Spray
This is a fast-acting spray designed to kill fleas and ticks quickly. It can be directly sprayed on pets to eliminate fleas and ticks in their bodies for up to 30 days. It comes in an easy to use spray bottle. Its active ingredient is fipronil that is safe enough for use in cats and kittens at least eight weeks old.
• Relatively affordable
• Easy to use
• Needs only a few spray to be able to kill ticks and fleas on contact
• Since it only needs a few sprays to eliminate those pests, this product can last for a long time. Some Amazon.com reviewers even say that their sprays have continued for years
• Doesn’t have a strong odor
• The sound that the spray makes can easily scare off cats
• Some best flea and tick spray for cats reviews suggests that the spray tends to leak, although that may be an isolated case
• Dosage instruction is not clearly stated on the product label, which can make cat owners experiment
5. Dr. Dry Green Pet All Natural Flea and Tick Spray
This could be the best natural flea spray for cats, according to many Amazon.com reviewers. It is made of all natural ingredients, and can keep your cat free from fleas and ticks for many days. This spray has a pleasant scent, unlike other flea sprays. It comes in an easy-to-squeeze spray bottle.
• It is very affordable
• It has a sweet smell
• Made of natural ingredients such as peppermint, cinnamon, clove, and cedar oils
• Has no side effects
• The bottle can last for many months because you don’t need to apply a lot of it on your pet
• Company has excellent customer support
• The sound that the spray makes can bother the cats
• Not for big cats as you would be forced to spray this again after 2-3 days
• The bottle can be leaky at times.
Our Recommended Product
The five products are all excellent choices if you’re looking for an anti-flea spray. But what is the best flea and tick spray for cats in the list?
It’s a tough call, but we’re going with Dr. Dry Green Pet All Natural Flea and Tick Spray. Many Amazon.com reviewers will likely agree with us. This product made of all-natural ingredients like clove, peppermint, cinnamon and cedar oils may just be the best today.
Aside from being all-natural that significantly reduces the risks of side effects, this flea and tick spray is affordable. It can also last for a long time because you don’t need to spray it multiple times on your cat, except if you have a huge pet.
Moreover, many Amazon.com reviewers attest that the company behind it has an excellent customer support team. You can get a replacement or even a refund in case you are not satisfied with the product.
So what are you waiting for? Shop now online and find the best flea spray for your feline friend.