Are you shopping for a clumping litter? The best clumping cat litter can make it a lot easier for you to clean up your pet’s waste.
You don’t have to sift through the litter box when you use one. It can also help you save money in the long run.
Clumping Cat Litter
What is a Clumping Cat Litter?
Clumping cat litter is a type of cat litter that bunches when there are urine and feces present. Clumping cat litter has been around for the past 50 years.
A biochemist, Dr. Thomas Nelson, discovered that adding bentonite can improve the way cat litter is disposed of.
Bentonite can absorb more than ten times its dry weight in liquid. It can thus form tight clumps which can be scooped out, making removal of litter a lot easier and less embarrassing.
Some products, though, are made from other materials like whole kernel corn and walnut shells.
Clumping cat litter reviews will tell you that there are many advantages of using this type of cat litter:
- It makes cleaning up quick and easy. Scooping is a lot easier when you use a clumping cat litter because your cat’s business is trapped in a firm, tight clump.
- It can keep your home smelling fresh because it can trap nasty odors in the litter box.
- It can also catch liquids before these trickle into the bottom of your cat’s litter box. This can force you to chisel and scrape your cat’s litter box as part of your maintenance routine. But by using cat clumping litter, you are freed from this tedious task.
- Since you can scoop and remove your cat’s business from the litter box, this means that the box can stay cleaner for a longer period. You don’t need to empty the litter box regularly.
- It is healthier for cats. Cats prefer clumping litter because it has fine grains that feel softer on the surface of their paw.
- It is cheap. Finally, one of the best reasons why cat owners still prefer clumping cat litter is that it is less expensive than many other types of cat litter like natural or biodegradable cat litter.
It’s not surprising that many cat owners still prefer clumping cat litter over other types of cat litter.
In a 2009 report of Experian Simmons, clumping cat litter (58%) dominated cat litter sales with natural clay at 24 percent and crystal formulations at 4 percent.
Is It Safe To Use A Clumping Cat Litter?
There have been concerns that clumping clay litter can pose health risks to cats, especially kittens.
Some cat owners feel that kittens, in particular, can taste cat litter and that sodium bentonite could pose health problems like severe gastro intestinal blockage.
Older cats, meanwhile, are said to be affected by sodium bentonite dust which could settle on their fur.
When the cat licks off this dust, cat owners fear that this could result in health problems later on.
However, it should be noted that there are no scientific studies that have shown that sodium bentonite is harmful to cats.
Moreover, there’s no evidence about those dangerous effects of clumping litter. Evidence of said cat health problems caused by clumping litter remains anecdotal.
Dr. James Richards of the Cornell Feline Health Center in New York is among those who have confirmed that there is no truth to the rumors that clumping cat litter is dangerous to cats.
Experts like him say that health concerns brought about by the use of clumping cat litter are unfounded.
As for cats ingesting litter, it should be noted that it would take a lot of ingested litter to cause health problems to cats.
In fact, ingested litter is more of concern for dogs that raid cat litter box than it is for our feline friends.
If you’re still worried about your kitten, you can settle for clumping litters that are made from cord, wood, and nut hulls. These natural ingredients are considered safer for kittens.
Factors to Consider in Shopping for The Best Clumping Cat Litter
Clumping cat litter products may appear the same, but there are things that you have to consider when choosing the best clumping cat litter:
1. Low Dust
Dust is one of the principal causes of feline asthma. Unfortunately, all types of cat litter can cause dust. There’s no such thing as dust-free litter; even crystal cat litter doesn’t qualify as one.
But look for a clumping cat litter with a low dust formula. You can refer to dumping cat litter reviews to know which clumping cat litter has a low dust formula.
2. No Odor
Studies have shown that cats will likely pick an unscented litter. Our feline friends are so panicky when it comes to scents that they would avoid litter box with a smelly clumping cat litter.
Choose a clumping cat litter with odor controlling formula to get rid of those odors that may turn off your pet.
3. Number Of Cats In The Household
If you have more than one cat at home, then you’ll need to get a clumping litter that can mask the odors of multiple cats.
4. The Size Of The Bag
You should also consider the size of the bag when choosing a clumping cat litter.
A larger bag may be more expensive, but it contains more litter that is enough to fill your cat’s litter box several times. This could give you more savings in the long run.
Look for a lightweight clumping cat litter so that you’ll have an easier time pouring it as well as carrying it
Finally, remember that cats are creatures of habit. Once they appear content with a brand of cat litter, don’t change their brand of cat litter.
Top Seven Clumping Cat Litter Products
We’ve made things easier for you by identifying seven clumping cat litter products that you can try for your feline friend:
1. Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter
This is an all-natural clumping cat litter that is hypo-allergenic. It contains no plant proteins, perfumes, and deodorants. It is 99% dust-free and utilizes heavy and non-tracking granules.
This unscented cat clumping litter is made of 100% bentonite clay. Made in the United States, this product is a multi-cat formula.
- Very low tracking. If there’s any tracking at all, it is limited to the box and not throughout the house. The grains are also thick enough so that they don’t stick to cat’s fur
- It leaves very minimal dust. There’s some dust when you pour it from the box.
- Scoopable, which is a lot more hygienic
- No scent/odor, as well as perfume that tries to mask any unpleasant odor
- It clumps beautiful and hard; doesn’t break apart easily
- Most cats won’t have problem transitioning into this cat litter
- The 40-pound bag is heavy and thus difficult to pour from
- You may settle for the 18-pound bag if you’re concerned about the weight, but the smaller bag is more expensive
- It would have been better if it had come in a jug and not a box for easier handling
2. Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Clump & Seal Clumping Litter
Arm & Hammer is a reputable brand of cleaning products so that you can be assured of the quality of this multi-cat clump and seal clumping litter.
It is a revolutionary cat litter that can provide outstanding odor control. It has moisture-activated micro-granules that can control your cat’s odors. It can keep your house fresh and free from cat odors for seven days.
- It doesn’t track especially if you have a small rug outside the litter box. By doing so, you can avoid your cats from tracking it and reducing your need to vacuum around the box regularly
- It clumps cat litter well; no frustrating crumbling that can lead to unsanitary messes everywhere
- Regular use means you don’t have to clean the litter box regularly
- Lives up to its manufacturer’s promise of keeping the house odorless for one week
- While it has an artificial scent, it is not irritating to most users
- It is reasonably priced
- The litter is very fine, it looks like beach sand
- It can turn into a mushy sludge if you have cats that urinate frequently
- The box is a bit small for multiple cats
3. Arm & Hammer Super Scoop Clumping Litter, Unscented
Like the item above, this Arm & Hammer clumping cat litter is guaranteed to control your cat’s odors for seven days.
But it is lighter than the other clumping cat litter product by 50 percent. It is also 100% dust free. It seals and destroys the odor on contact with a potent combination of baking soda and other odor eliminators.
- It clumps hard that some reviewers compare the clumps to rocks
- It is effective in removing odors; many reviewers on Amazon.com credit it to the addition of baking soda which is known for removing unpleasant odors
- There is some consistency of sand. Thus it tends to sift away quickly especially in a roll-away litter box
- While many reviewers say there is some scent coming from it, the scent is described to be pleasant and not overpowering
- It comes in a nice, thick, cardboard box
- While the litter clumps, it doesn’t stick to the cat’s paws
- Many reviewers on Amazon.com say their cats were OK when they switched to this brand
- Has a very reasonable price tag
- It’s not unscented, contrary to what the manufacturer says
- Odor control and clumping ability not as good as other brands
4. Oil Dri Cat's Pride Fresh and Light Premium Clumping Fragrance-Free Scoopable Cat Litter
This is a lightweight clumping cat litter that is up to 25 percent lighter compared to other scoopable litters.
This is a good choice if the weight of the litter is a concern to you. It is ideal for sensitive and allergic cats as it is fragrance-free. It comes in a jug that is easier to handle compared to a box.
- Very lightweight, so owners will not have issues pouring or carrying it
- Almost dust free which it makes recommended for cats with asthma as well as owners with respiratory problems
- Clumps appear near the surface which makes clean up easier
- It clumps well. As long as there's urine, you can count on this product to produce clumps that don't break easily
- It has multi colored granules that make it a lot easier for cat owners to detect and remove fecal matter
- Tracking is a concern; many reviewers say it easily tracks
- It is not completely fragrance-free. There's mild odor although some people couldn't stand it
- Not readily available in most groceries
5. World's Best Cat Litter, Quick Cat Clumping Formula
This is the only natural cat litter made from whole kernel corn, which is said to be effective at controlling odors.
Aside from being effective at odor control, this cat clumping litter has natural wood fibers that provide a gentle fragrance. This is a solid choice if you want an Earth-friendly cat clumping litter.
- Very absorbent, even urine can lead to little clumps easily
- Lasts long, some users say they only replenish after ten days
- There's no dust at all
- Scent is fragrant, with many people comparing it to fresh lavender
- Unlike other cat clumping litter, this one is safe to flush as it is sewer and septic friendly
- You don't need to use a lot of it; a small scoop should be enough to clump your cat's litter
- It is environment-friendly
- Doesn't track, no fine dust lining up the litter box or accumulating on the cat's fur
- Very expensive, one of the priciest in this list
- Scooping is a bit difficult
6. Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Cat Litter
This all natural cat clumping litter is made from walnut shells. It is low tracking and dust free. It also comes in different formula.
This fresh cat litter is also known for being absorbent and good at odor control. Similar to the item before it, this is an environment-friendly cat clumping litter.
- It is highly absorbent
- It takes litter to get the job done
- It is more economical in the long run as each bag can go a lot of father
- It is environment-friendly as it is made from a unique blend of fibrous materials sourced from walnut shell
- It can produce harder clumps compared to other litters made from pine, corn, and wheat
- It can produce clumps in as quick as 15 minutes
- It is virtually dust-free, so you and your cat won’t be bugged by respiratory ailments
- It is low tracking
- It can create hard clumps that are hard to flush
- When it gets wet, the clumps may appear to be very bloody which is not only gross but also makes it difficult to watch for potential bowel issues
7. Tidy Cats Brand Light Weight Clumping Cat Litter
This lightweight clumping cat litter boasts of a continuous odor control formula. It is highly absorbent and is said to be virtually dust free. Although it is lightweight, the clumping power is not compromised at all. Expect light but tight clumps for easy scooping when you use this cat litter from Tidy Cats.
- Very absorbent
- Results to hard clumps that make it very easy for pet owners to scoop their cat’s litter
- Excellent at controlling odor of urine and feces
- It is very lightweight so pouring, and hauling won’t be issued at all
- It doesn’t have a bad scent/smell; most reviewers say it is very tolerable
- Clumping is very consistent
- Very reasonably priced
- Poor tracking; because it is lightweight, the cat litter has a tendency to stick to the fur and paws of cats
- Many Amazon.com reviewers contest the manufacturer’s claim that it is dust-free; they say that it is very dusty
- Because it can be very dusty, this product can prove to be very messy and thus add up to your cleaning chores
Our Recommended Product
These are all excellent cat clumping litter that you can get for your cat. But do you wonder what the best clumping cat litter in our list is? We think that the World's Best Cat Litter with its Quick Cat Clumping Formula deserves that distinction.
It is made from an environment-friendly material, whole kernel corn. It is excellent at controlling odor and delivers a gentle fragrance. It is highly absorbent, virtually dust-free, and septic and sewer friendly. It is very economical, too as a small scoop would be enough to take care of your cat’s litter. You’ll get your money’s worth with this cat litter.