Getting a water fountain will be one of the best investments you can make for your cat. A water fountain for cats can keep your pet cool and fresh all the time. It can also keep your feline friend free from urinary diseases. This article will help you find the best cat water fountain for your pet.
Cat Water Fountain: An Introduction
Experts say that cats should drink about 60 milliliters of water for every kilogram of their body weight. Thus, a 5-kilo cat must be given about 300 ml of water a day, or a tall glass of water every day so that their body will function well.
But your cat may not be able to get that much water if you are often away. Even if you leave water for her by placing water bowls everywhere, your pet may not drink from those containers because cats are predisposed to drinking running water.
This is where a cat water fountain can come in handy. A cat water fountain is the best way to ensure that your cat will always have access to clean drinking water. It lets her drink fresh water all the time without you wasting money on a tap or faucet left running. It is connected to a water source, with a valve that controls the flow of water into the container such as a bowl.
Benefits Of Using The Best Cat Water Fountain
More than giving your cat access to healthy drinking water, the best cat drinking fountain can make you the following advantages:
1. It can make your cat drink more. Cats are more likely to drink from a pet water fountain because it is clean and fresh. Running water also tastes better than water in a bowl because it has more oxygen dissolved in it.
2. It can prevent dehydration in cats. If your cat is not able to ingest enough water a day, then there’s a risk that she may become dehydrated. Dehydration happens when normal body fluids fall below required levels. Dehydration can lead to numerous health problems like kidney damage, heatstroke, and damage to the circulatory system. When left untreated, it can lead to your pet’s death in a matter of hours.
3. It can keep her mentally stimulated. Aside from giving her access to clean water all the time, a water fountain can keep your pet mentally stimulated. For whatever reason, cats are naturally interested in moving water. Thus she will be fascinated by the motion of the running water.
4. It can keep you free from the chore of refilling water bowls. Let’s face it, not every cat owner has the time to refill water bowls of their cats. Most of us are so busy. If you’re the type of pet lover who’s been busy with work, then you will love having a water fountain. The best cat drinking fountain will mean less work for you.
How To Choose The Right Water Fountain for Your Cat
So how do you shop for the best pet water fountain for your cat? Here are some things you will need to consider:
1. Material. Pet water fountain reviews will tell you that cat fountains can be made of different materials, like stainless steel, plastic, and ceramic. Of the three, plastic is the most readily available and thus affordable. You should choose plastic that is BPA free as this is safe for cats and other pets.
On the other hand, ceramic and stainless steel are considered more premium materials hence more expensive than plastic. Ceramic may be hygienic, but the main problem with it is that it is breakable.
For some cat owners, stainless steel is the ideal material for the best cat fountain. Not only is it rust-proof, but is also easy to clean. Moreover, stainless steel has an attractive finish that can make any water fountain look good wherever it may be placed.
2. Water Fountain Filtration Types. Water fountain for cats may come in different filtration systems. One common type is the ultraviolet filter, which makes use of UV lights to kill harmful microorganisms like bacteria and parasites.
Another common filtration type is carbon, which is designed to get rid of contaminants like heavy metals, parasites, and pesticides. It can also remove impurities by adding absorbent and positively charged carbon molecules. It can remove bad taste and odors as a result.
Reverse osmosis, meanwhile, filters out contaminants like heavy metals and parasites. But unlike carbon filtration systems, it is commonly installed under sinks. The downside of this filtration system is that it can waste a lot of water.
Finally, there’s ion exchange filter that can remove positively charged ions and replace them with solid minerals. It is said to “soften” the water.
3. Ease of cleaning/maintenance. There’s no such thing as maintenance-free water fountain; that means you would have to clean it regularly. But if you’re the busy body, then you certainly want the best cat water fountain that doesn’t need to be frequently cleaned.
Cat water fountain reviews would tell you that one of the more critical things to look for in a water fountain is the ease of cleaning. You should find a water fountain that is dishwasher free as it can make your life a lot easier.
Ceramic is generally considered to be the most hygienic material for cat fountains, although plastic and stainless steel aren’t far behind. You would also want to choose a water fountain that is lightly colored so that you can easily see spots and dirt, which would tell you when you have to clean the unit.
4. Power source. Water fountain for cats may be powered by batteries or plugged into a wall outlet. But most cat owners prefer a unit that is electricity powered as it is more reliable, with no fear of batteries running out of power.
If you are to go with a water fountain that is to be plugged into an electrical outlet, make sure that you get a unit with a long cord. This should free you from having to be restricted with the placement of the water fountain. A long cord means you don’t have to place the water fountain near a wall outlet.
5. Ease of assembly. The water fountain should not only be simple to assemble but also disassemble as well. This will make cleaning of the unit a lot easier.
Here Is A Video To Help You Choose The Right Water Fountain For Your Cat
The 7 Best Cat Water Fountain
We have made shopping a lot easier for you by picking seven of the best water fountains for your cat:
Cat Water Fountain
1. PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Avalon Fountain for Pets
Some cat drinking fountain reviews say this may be the best ceramic cat fountain today. It has a 70 oz. water capacity that is ideal for small to medium sized cats. It has dual free-falling streams that can add oxygen to the water and make it more enticing for cats to drink. Its replaceable carbon water filter gets rid of the bad taste, and foam filter for removing hair and debris.
There are two drinking areas for your cat in this water fountain. It is made of porcelain, so it is hygienic and easy to use. The brand is well-respected and has been in the industry for more than 25 years.
- The carbon in the filter used in the water fountain is sourced from organic coconut shells, which act as water contaminants and improve the taste of water
- The carbon also helps in removing odors from the drinking water
- It's free falling stream aids in fresh water circulation
- With multiple drinking areas, cats will be able to drink from different places
- It is hygienic and easy to clean because it is made of ceramic, and there are no small parts with crevices where gunk can accumulate
- It has a 5-feet long cord so you will have more freedom in choosing an area for it
- It has a small footprint/takes up minimal space
- Audible but not loud to distract cats
- Because it is ceramic, it is breakable
- The bottom reservoir is a bit cramped
- Sound of water splashing is a bit distracting to cats
2. Cat Mate Pet Fountain
This is another 70 oz. water fountain that is suitable for small and medium sized cats. It has multi-height drinking stations thus your cats will have plenty of space for drinking. It has a ramp that is designed to reduce water splashing, which is usually distracting to our feline friends. It's isolated pump system, meanwhile, assures the super quiet operation of the fountain.
This water fountain makes use of polymer carbon fiber for purifying the water. Its maker backs it up with a three-year warranty.
- It is silent. This can be attributed to a special clamp that prevents the motor from vibrating and creating noise.
- It has three pools of water with two waterfalls, which means lots of areas for cats to drink water from.
- Its design facilitates faster water flow rate
- It is easy to clean
- It is dishwasher safe
- It is easy to disassemble and assemble for cleaning
- It is reasonably priced
- It has a long cord thus you don’t need to put it near a wall outlet
- It runs on electricity and not batteries, so it should be working all the time/ no need to worry about batteries running out of power
- It is colored white thus it is easier to spot debris in the water
- The motor has a tendency to become noisy over time
- Not ideal for big cats
- Although not difficult to clean, it is easy to get stained/dirty
3. PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Fountain
We already told you that PetSafe is one of the most trusted brands of pet care accessories thus it is not surprising that it again makes this list with this multi-tier pet fountain.
This pet fountain, however, is bigger than the item in number 1. With a 100-ounce water capacity, it should be big enough for cats of all sizes. It has a free-falling stream that will entice your cat to drink more water. Its replaceable carbon water filter is designed to remove bad tastes and odors and keep the drinking water fresh.
It has an elevated drinking dish that is specially designed for older cats.
- It is dishwasher safe, very easy to clean
- It has a low voltage, submersible pump that ensures safe and quiet operation
- The elevated drinking dish is not only designed for older cats but also pets suffering from arthritis
- It is quiet; won’t distract cats
- Runs on electricity, very energy efficient
- The high sides of the fountain keep fur and debris out
- No need to refill it every day—some owners do it every other day
- No leaks
- Very durable, some owners say their unit has been working well for more than a year
- Replacement pump/filter can be difficult to source aside from being very expensive
- The pump is a bit flimsy
- The color isn’t attractive enough for some cats and their owners
4. PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Pet Water Fountain
This is another PetSafe water fountain that is designed for cats of all sizes. This is an ideal water fountain if you have multiple cats in the household, as it has a circular design that provides lots of space for your cats to have a drink. With a 128 oz. Liter capacity, this water fountain will surely make your cats hydrated for many days. And you won’t have to refill it every day.
This water fountain also includes a replaceable carbon water filter, and an adjustable flow control cap that lets you adjust the water flow. It is made of BPA-free plastic, and its top is dishwasher safe.
- It has 1-5 changeable fee falling streams that would entice your pets to drink more
- Large capacity designed for cats of all sizes
- Runs on electricity
- You can clip the power cord, and there’s housing for it so that your cats won’t be able to play with it
- The pump is quiet; won’t distract cats
- The foam filter catches hair and debris, preventing them from reaching the pump
- The receiving ramp is designed to reduce the sound of splashing water that can be distracting to most cats
- The cord is more than 5 feet long; no need to place this water fountain near an outlet
- Most owners say that it is pretty expensive for a water fountain made of plastic
- The replacement filters are not only difficult to find but also expensive
5. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
This should be enough to keep a family of cats hydrated for days. It has a 168-ounce water capacity, with a free-falling water stream that will encourage them to drink more. It has the simple Replaceable carbon water filter of PetSafe that removes bad tastes and odors.
It also has an integrated reservoir that means you don’t have to refill it regularly.It is made of BPA-free plastic, with its top shelf dishwasher safe. It measures 15. 9 inches by 10.6 inches by 10.5 inches and weighs 4 pounds.
- It is easy to disassemble/assemble it for cleaning
- The top shelf is dishwasher safe
- It is big enough to hold water for a family of cats
- It is impossible for cats to tip it over
- Silent, you can barely hear the motor running
- Filters water regularly
- The replaceable water filter is easy to change
- Doesn’t get dirty easily; some owners say they clean it every two weeks
- Adjustable water flow
- Great and attractive design
- Holds a lot of water thus you won’t have to refill it regularly
- The reservoir is easy to fill with water
- Bulky takes up a lot of space in a room
- Because it is big, some cats may be tempted to play with it
- Some owners say they forget to refill it because it doesn’t need to be refilled regularly
6. Pioneer Pet Raindrop Stainless Steel Pet Drinking Fountain
With a 60 oz capacity, this stainless steel pet drinking fountain should be good enough for 2-3 small or medium sized cats. It measures about four inches tall, 9.7 inches wide, and 11. 75 inches long. It weighs around 1.7 pounds. It has an extra long cord measuring more than six feet.
This is a 100% dishwasher safe drinking fountain, and thus very easy to clean. It has an ultra-quiet pump that oxygenates and circulates water. It has an elegant shape and design that should go well with any décor in your home. It has been cited as one of the best-designed pet fountains.
- It doesn’t take up a lot of space
- It has an extra long cord, so you don’t have to be restricted to choosing an area to place it
- The motor is so quiet you can barely hear it working
- It has very few moving parts
- Easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe and doesn’t have hidden spots/crevices
- Provides cats with three ways to drink water—from the bowl, a ramp, and the area where the water is bubbling
- The pump is adjustable so you can determine the water flow rate
- Easy to assemble, comes with an instruction manual
- It is lightweight so seniors or adults with arthritis won’t have difficulty in moving/cleaning it
- Small water capacity means you will have to refill it regularly
- Replacement filters aren’t available in most retail stores, only available online
- Replacement filters are quite expensive
7. PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Pagoda Fountain for Pets
PetSafe rounds out our list with this 70 oz water fountain that is perfect for small to medium sized cats. It is made of porcelain and is thus very hygienic. It is also very easy to clean, with its top part dishwasher safe. Like the other PetSafe water fountains mentioned in this list, it has a replaceable carbon water filter that effectively gets rid of bad tastes and odors.
There are two drinking areas for cats in this water fountain--- the upper and lower dish. The dual free-falling streams make the water more oxygenated, and thus more enticing and tasty for cats. This water fountain measures 10.6 x 12.2 x 8.4 inches and weighs around 6 pounds.
- Free falling streams circulate fresh water
- It comes in multiple design and colors, so you can choose a unit that can blend easily into your room
- Available colors—red, blue, white, and taupe
- Ideal for small and medium sized cats
- Minuscule footprint, won’t take up a lot of space
- Soundless motor, won’t distract your cats
- Because you will have to refill it regularly, you’ll be encouraged to clean it more often
- Very easy to assemble
- You’ll have to refill it more often, not ideal for busy cat owners
- The splashing water creates a sound that can distract cats
- It’s very expensive for a water fountain with a limited water capacity
Our Recommended Product
Those are seven great water fountains that ought to be on your shortlist. But you may wonder, what is the best cat water fountain in the list?It’s a tough call, but we have to say it is the 168 oz. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain. The biggest water fountain in this list is also the best because it can keep your cats hydrated for an extended period. There are many things you will love about this water fountain.
One is that it makes use of the carbon water filter that can remove bad taste and unpleasant odor. It is made of BPA-free plastic, and thus safe for pets. It is also easy to clean, with its top shelf dishwasher safe.Because it is big, your cat won’t be able to tip it over no matter how she tries. The adjustable water flow feature and quiet motor are other things you’ll appreciate.
Sure, it can take up a lot of space, but that’s something that goes with a big and sturdy water fountain. If you have multiple cats at home, then this 168 oz. Water fountain from PetSafe is the right one for you.