The one thing that you will have to get if you are taking care of cats is a litter box. This is very much true if you live in an apartment. The best cat litter box will not only keep your surroundings clean but free you from the hassle of scooping your cat’s litter.
Cat Litter Box
Different Types Of Litter Box
Cat litter box reviews won’t be complete without sharing the various types of litter box for cats.
The open top cat litter box is the type of litter box that suits the budget-conscious cat owner. It comes in a traditional, rectangular box. And as its names suggest, it has no top or cover. It usually comes with a rim which can be used in holding a liner in place.
Although it is cheap, this isn’t the best choice for a cat who likes to dig her litter. You’ll inevitably end up picking up her business on the floor. A litter mat can be helpful for this one. Open types are ideal for kittens.
The covered cat litter box, meanwhile, is very similar to the open litter box. It’s just that it has a cover or hood covering the box. There’s usually a hole on one end where the cats can enter.
Covered litter boxes are ideal for cats who don’t like to do their business in an open top litter box. It’s also very much recommended for apartment dwellers because the cover can cut down the smell. Moreover, the hood can prevent cats from digging their litter and causing it to fall on the floor.
Then there’s the self-cleaning litter box. As its name indicates, it is a litter box that can clean itself. It usually has a rake that scoops the litter into a receptacle. It is a very convenient and hygienic option although you will have to pay more if you are to get this type of litter box.
The hidden cat litter box, on the other hand, can be mistaken for a planter or other furniture. Because of its concealed design, you can place this anywhere in your home.
Finally, the sifting litter box combines the odor control properties of the covered litter box with litter scoop free qualities of the self-cleaning type. There’s a secondary container inside the box which you can use to hand-sift the litter.
Things To Consider In Choosing The Best Cat Litter Box
Because of the many types of litter boxes for cats, you will surely have a hard time determining the right litter box for your beloved feline friend. You can make things easier by taking into consideration the following factors when shopping for a litter box:
1. Size of the litter box
When shopping for a litter box, you’ll have to consider the size of your cat who will be using it. Certainly, kittens will have difficulty accessing a regular cat litter box on the side are too tall for them.
On the other hand, a large cat would need a litter box that has enough space for him to move around. If your cat is big and he finds your litter boxes too small, then he will surely find another place to do his business.
The rule of thumb is that the cat litter box must be at least 1.5 times the size of your pet.
Now if you have two or more cats, it would be practical to get an extra large cat litter box. This would provide your cats with plenty of room to urinate and defecate.
The litter box’s opening or entry points must also be considered when you are buying a litter box for your cat. It should be big enough for your cat to get through. If you have kittens, buy a litter box with a low entrance point so that he’ll be able to go inside with relative ease.
2. Design of the litter box
Do you want a litter box that can be mistaken for a planter box? Or perhaps a litter box that looks like a small cabinet? Or are you content with a litter box with no hood or covering? It is really up to you to decide which litter box style or design is best suited for your feline friend taking into consideration his bathroom habits. If your cat covets privacy when he pees or does his business, for instance, then you ought to get a litter box that is hooded or covered.
3. The size of the room where you intend to place it
The size of the room where you plan to put the litter box will also have an impact on your choice of cat litter box. If you have a small apartment, then you definitely should look for a litter box with a small footprint. If you live in a mansion, then you can go for any size of litter box as space will not be a concern at all.
4. Ease of maintenance/cleaning
Litter boxes should be easy to clean, especially if you are the type of cat owner who doesn’t have much time for cleaning your cat’s things.
A self-cleaning litter box is your first choice if ease of cleaning is your primary consideration choosing a litter box for cats. As mentioned earlier, this type of litter box automatically rakes your cat’s waste into a cover trap. It frees you from the inconvenience of scooping his litter daily.
But even if you choose other litter box styles, ease of maintenance or cleanliness must be a prime consideration. If you’re buying an open top litter box, it should have a non-stick, easy-to-clean surface.
5. Superior odor control
Finally, a litter box should have excellent odor control as you don’t want your house to smell like cat poop.
Litter boxes with charcoal filters are great choices because charcoal is known for absorbing the bad odor.
Other Things To Consider In Buying A Litter Box
- Ease of assembly
Litter Box Cleaning Tips And Video
Here are some tips to make litter box cleaning easier and hassle-free:
- Remove the hood from the litter box.
- Keep the scoops and bags nearby.
- Scoop litter more often.
- Regularly dump the entire litter box.
- Make cleaning of litter box a routine.
Top 9 Litter Box
Are you still confused on which litter box to get for your cat? Take a look at our list of the top 9 cat litter box products on the market today:
1. Designer Catbox Litter Box Enclosure
This is a covered litter box that should be a great addition to your home because of its stylish design. It is made of high-quality wood and painted with non-toxic and lead-free paint. It's cat entrance is 7.5 inches wide and 8 inches high, which should be big enough for big cats to enter. Inside it is a litter pan, scoop, and other accessories that are completely hidden from the eyes of your guests. This litter box measures 25 x 33 x 5 inches and weighs 40 pounds.
- It is easy to assemble, with most owners saying it took them less than an hour to put it together
- It has a beautiful, clean design that should match or blend well with most home décor
- The hood has a safety hinge, allowing you to hold it open with one hand
- Because of its great design, many people won’t even realize that it is a cat litter box
- Ideal for the use of 2-3 cats
- It has a strong chemical odor
- The smell doesn’t go away even after some time
- The wood used is relatively thin; many owners say it won’t last long
2. Tidy Cats Cat Litter, Breeze, Litter Box Kit System, 1 Kit
This is a complete litter box kit system for your cat. Aside from the litter box, it includes a bag of anti-tracking pellets. There are also four disposable cat pads designed for urine odor absorption and control, which should last for a month.
The litter box itself measures 9.8 x 21 x 16.3 inches and measures 8.9 pounds. It is designed to separate the urine and feces to minimize the odor.
- The kit has everything you need, from the litter box to the cat pads to the anti-tracking pelletsThe litter bo
- x has a pad tray that is easy to clean
- It is easy to assemble and set up
- Very contemporary, stylish design
- Ideal for small and medium cats, weighing no more than 10 pounds
- Perfect for cats who like to urinate a lot
- It has a small footprint, doesn’t take up a lot of space
- This is not recommended for cats who like to dig up a lot
- You’ll have to buy the pellets and pads once the supplies run out
- It can be noisy if your cat likes to dig
- This is not recommended for big cats as the cat litter box is a big small
3. Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome
This is one litter box that has an ingenious design; one that should encourage your cat to do his business right here. It has an enclosed dome design that can contain litter scatter and spray while ensuring privacy of your beloved pet. It also has a charcoal filter that minimizes the odor.
This is an oversized litter box that should accommodate cats of all sizes. It has a ramp that catches the litter on your cat’s feed. It had a built-in handle and made of easy-to-clean plastic.
- Because it hides your cat, you won’t be able to see her urinate or defecate
- It is hygienic because of its enclosed design
- The stairs aims to remove litter from your cat’s feet
- Shy cats will be able to appreciate the privacy the litter box gives them
- It is huge and thus should be able to accommodate small to big cats
- The replaceable carbon filter is effective in masking the odor
- It is available in various colors
- It is massive, so, it will be hard to move around
- It takes up a lot of space in a room
- Because of its size, it can be a challenge to clean it
4. Nature's Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
This is an open top litter box for cats that is affordable and thus a good choice for budget-conscious shoppers. It has high sides to prevent your cat from scattering his litter. It also has an easy to clean spout.
This litter box may have no hood or cover, but it offers antimicrobial protection. It is also mold and mildew resistant. The non-stick surface is also very easy to clean. Manufactured in China, it measures 23 x 18.5 x 11 inches. It weighs 36.6 pounds.
- It is very affordable that you can buy several pieces of this litter box
- The high sides prevent the urine from getting on the floor
- The low entrance allows cats to enter/exit from it quickly
- Its nonstick surface is very easy to clean
- It is big enough for most average sized cats to get inside
- It has enough room for them, too
- The front is low. Thus even older cats and pets with arthritis will be able to get inside it
- Poor odor control, most owners complain that they can smell the scent of their cat’s litter
- This is not ideal for shy cats
- The front is too low that litter comes out of it very easily
5. Hagen CatIt Hooded Cat Litter Box
This hooded cat litter box measures 22 inches long, 17 inches wide, and 18 inches tall. The door opening has dimensions of 10.4 inches by 9.6 inches; even big cats should have no troubles getting inside this litter box.
The large hood lifts up very easily for cleaning, and there’s a carbon filter inside for removing odors. This is an excellent choice if you are looking for a litter box for multiple cats..
- It is large enough for average sized cats to turn around, dig, and stand up
- It has a nice smooth finish
- The hood fits tightly with the bottom. Thus there is no chance for urine to leak
- The door may be folded up and away for a ‘moon roof’ where your cat can stick his head up
- It is easy to clean with a bag lock feature, allows you to hook a bag over the doorway tab and thus scoop the litter conveniently
- Since it is enclosed, you won’t see your cat do his business
- It takes up a lot of space
- The locking latches feel flimsy
- It is expensive
6. Petmate Kitty Komplete Jumbo Hooded Litter Pan and Hood
This is perhaps the best cat litter box today. Its litter pan can hold more than 25 pounds of litter and waste, which makes it an excellent choice for medium to large sized cats. It is made with Microban, providing antimicrobial protection to deter the growth of stain and other bacteria.
There’s a litter scoop, four liners, and carbon air filter included in the package. It measures 21 x 17 x 18 inches. The real bedding area measures 19 x 15 inches. Its manufacturer, PetMate, is one of the most trusted makers of pet litter boxes and accessories.
- Comes from a highly reputable brand
- It is very sturdy
- It is easy to clean
- The plastic material from which it is made of can withstand years of use of bleach and disinfectant
- Dark blue color hides some of the stains from years of use
- Its color also makes it look more hygienic
- Top cover fits perfectly
- Big enough for your cat to have some space to move around
- Secure clip/locking action has a tendency to malfunction
- Lacks a door
7. Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox
This is another solid choice; one that can rival the PetMate hooded litter pan. It is designed for cats that love to dig and kick litter with top entry design. It can also eliminate tracking and over-the-edge spills. Moreover, odor is reduced because of its sealed top.
Cat litter box reviews of this unit mention how easy it is to clean this litter box. It also has custom heavy-duty liners. The litter box measures 20 inches by 15 inches by 15 inches. The door or opening has a 9-inch diameter.
- Can be used by 2-3 cats
- Very minimal tracking with its high walls
- The hole is big enough for most cats to get inside the litter box
- It looks like a storage bin. Thus it won’t be an eyesore and can blend well in any room
- Made of extra sturdy plastic that is durable, can last for many year
- It is square shaped and thus can easily be placed in a corner
- It is leak proof
- It is reasonably priced
- Extra large cats, or those weighing more than 20 pounds, may not fit inside it
- The lid is a bit hard to open
8. Good Pet Stuff Company Hidden Cat Litter Box
If you are specifically looking for a litter box that may be mistaken for other for a planter, then this is the unit for you. You will think that it is a real clay pot with its unique design with an included plant, and brown color. It is made of polypropylene which is durable and easy to clean. It also has a filtered vented system for superior dust and odor control.
This one measures 42 inches high, so your big cat should be able to get inside it. The manufacturer backs it with a one-year limited warranty.
- For a big cat litter box, it doesn’t take much space
- Cats who weigh around 15 to 20 pounds should find this litter box spacious enough
- It has a brilliant design; you will think it is a planter box
- You can place it almost anywhere because of its design and small footprint
- It has excellent odor control
- The top is easy to remove and clean
- The plant included in the box can be distracting to most cats
- Some cats will be tempted to chew the leaves
- There is no door
9. Modkat Litter Box Kit Includes Scoop and Reusable Liner
Finally, this Modkat litter box also has a very attractive design that can blend in nicely with any room. It is dog proof, with its top entry design preventing dogs from getting inside it.
The litter box measures 16 x 16 x 15 inches. It is lightweight at 8 pounds. Included in the package is a litter scoop, and a reusable tarp liner made of commercial strength tarpaulin. It has a 10-inch high liner to prevent cat’s urine from getting to the floor.
- Big enough to accommodate large cats not weighing more than 20 pounds
- Award-winning design, it can look good anywhere you put it
- Very durable, many online reviewers say their units have lasted for more than two years
- It eliminates litter tracking
- Included scoop hangs on the right side, just where you need it
- Its discreet design lets you put it anywhere you wish
- It is dog-proof
- It has a tilt lid mechanism
- Very expensive, perhaps the most expensive in this list
- Extra big cats may not get inside it
- Some cats may be tempted to jump out of the unit thinking it is a launching of some sort
Our Recommended Product
The nine products discussed above are all excellent choices if you are hunting for a good litter box for your cat.
But which is the best litter box on the list?
The Petmate Kitty Komplete Jumbo Hooded Litter Pan and Hood get our vote.
As we said, this could be the best litter box for cats today. With a huge capacity, this should hold a lot of litter and urine which makes it an excellent choice for cat owners who are often away from their home.
It also doesn’t hurt that there’s already four liners, litter scoop, and carbon air filter thrown in the package. The inclusion of antimicrobial protection further makes the litter box a reliable option for hygiene-conscious shoppers.
We also like it because it comes from a highly trusted brand. It’s sturdy, easy to clean, and big enough for most cats to move around.